Learning and Teaching
St Francis of Assisi Catholic Primary School aims to promote lifelong learning and active participation as citizens in Australian society. Within the personalised learning programs, students will participate in an Inquiry Approach to teaching and learning, providing them with the opportunity to develop as lifelong learners who have the capacity to think and know how to learn.
Learning opportunities that are explicit and scaffolded; and encourage student voice will be evident. Engaging students in authentic partnerships over time and space will form an integral part of the learning process. A wide range of contemporary tools will be embedded in the learning environment.
Our contemporary approach to learning and teaching:
- is underpinned by the expectation that all students will succeed and ensures the best progress of all learners across the range of development (intellectual, spiritual, social, physical, emotional)
- enables students to develop deep understandings about the world and how it works and to operate effectively and responsibly in that world
- builds capacity for lifelong learning which is relevant and purposeful
- engages students in multiple perspectives, valuing and responding to diversity and difference
- ensures a personalised response to the learning needs of each student cognisant of their passions and strengths
- is explicit and scaffolded, with regular feedback to affirm and guide development
- focuses on creating flexible learning opportunities in which learning is differentiated in response to different learning styles and is co-constructed
- engages learners in creating new knowledge and understanding by thinking and working creatively, exploring and experimenting, planning and reflecting, and communicating and collaborating
- builds relationships within and beyond the classroom to create learning opportunities in diverse environments
- involves the appropriate and ethical use of contemporary technologies and resources that enable and transform learning.